The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Gouverneur High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite subject in school?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Winter Sports Are On Their Way

Along with the cold and snowy weather, comes the excitement of our winter sports season. Athletes move indoors to begin their next season of athletics, consisting of Girls and Boys Basketball, Girl and Boys Indoor Track, Boys Swim, Cheerleading, and Wrestling. For game schedules, check the Gouverneur Central School Athletics page, as this year, the Wildcats are defending records in many of these sports. 

For basketball, the girls are looking to win their third consecutive Section X Championship. The team of 11 is led by the seniors, including Meredith Bush, Chloe Smith, Courtney Forsythe, Rylynn Martin-Mcintyre, Maddie Hay-Spano, and myself. The rest of the team includes Renisa Richards, Mae Cummings, Electa Fitzgerald, Gabrielle Free, Raegan Devlin, and Ashlynn Besaw.

The Boys Swim Team is also looking to defend a Section X Championship this season. The team, led by senior Riley Shepherd, looks to compete with top competition again this year, hoping to secure that coveted two-time Championship title, and improve on our school’s records. The rest of the team includes Evan Bishop, Nick Canell, Robert Kulp, Rayden Lacey, John-Michael Leader, Carter Lumley, Michael Moon, Wyatt Slate, Ilya Studyonov, Chase Tuttle, and Gavin Warren.

This year, the Gouverneur Wrestling Team also looks to continue their reputation of champions with a team of hardworking athletes, looking to secure a number of titles in our section, the state, and beyond. The team recognizes seniors Holden Stowell, Vandavian Way, Drew Gates, Hunter Mashaw, and Morris Wing. The rest of the team consists of Cyler Baer, Cason Denesha, Mason Dusharm, Alexander Finton, Axell Gates, Issac Gates, Tuffy Griffith, Zoe Griffith, Alexander Hall, Lee Hance, Anthony Hanratty, Michael Jonquil, Ryan Mashaw, James Minckler, Paul Minckler, Onna Moss, Kolt Murdie, David New, Tucker Nichols, Jacob Pitts, Hannah Sochia, Turner Sochia, and Hayden Stowell.

Our other Wildcat sports teams look competitive and ready to battle as the seniors start their last winter season as a Wildcat. The Boys Varsity Basketball team is led by seniors Brodie Burns, Connor Witheral, William Riutta, Ashton Currier, Gunner Simmons, Ayden Lumley, Konnor Mandigo, Cael Denesha, and Jared Donaldson. The rest of the team including Drake Desormeaux, Lucas Griffith, Kaleb Platt, Raine Rumble, and Tylor Shatlaw. 

On our Boys and Girls Indoor Track Team, the seniors include Vincent Thomas, Owen Siebels, Abigail Bowman, Meadow Greenhill, Jacey Sheen, and Ninah Newcomb. The boys team is rounded out with Kelvin Bice III, Zachery Bush, Gavin Davis, Tiamane Hull, Anthony Kerr, Jackson Ritchie, Zachery Schiszler, and Kaden Wells, and the Girls team also includes Mattie Beck, Rae-Lynn Burns, Abigail Doyle, Audrey Gains, Marissa Kerr, Ameillia Lacks, Lily Macaulay, Lauren Ordway, Brianna Scott, Lilah Siebels, Emily Smith, and Azlan Spicer. 

The Wildcat Cheer Squad enters this season led by seniors Tatum Mulder, Neveah Peck, Johnessa Simmons, Reigan Ayen, and Elizabeth Jenne. The rest of the team consisting of Kristen Burns, Rose Cox, Payton Forsythe, Natalie Gollinger, Savanna Harmer, Paige Kirby, Bella Moran, Gabrielle Nagy, Hannah Roderick, and Keelana Thomas.

As these seniors, and the rest of our Wildcats, make their way through the season, come out and show your support for them and their hard work. Best of luck to all teams. Go Wildcats!